Gilbert's Study Guides
Monday, 30 September 2013
Scene 4 of A Streetcar Named Desire: the relationship between Stella and Blanche
Scene 4 takes place during the aftermath of the fight between Stella and Stanley.
What do Blanche and Stella talk about? What is Blanche trying to persuade Stella to do? What is your evidence for this?
Think carefully about Williams' representation of Stella and Blanche: how successful is he in representing the changing relationship with the sisters? Find THREE quotes which show how Williams presents their relationship as a "power struggle".
How is Stanley represented in this scene? What do you think Williams is saying about him?
Labels:
Blanche,
representation,
Scene 4,
Stanley,
Stella
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blanches past such as that she had gone to Miami and what she is planning to do in the future, which is set up a shop.
ReplyDeleteBlanche is trying to persuade Stella to leave Stanley and Elysian fields so that they can go to Texas and become rich. She tells Stella her friend would ‘set us up in a shop’ and Blanche also says ‘I have to plan for us both, to get us both – out!’
Williams begins by having Stella and Blanche talking about what happened the night before. However Blanche begins to talk about running away and rants about Stanley. Stella tries to defend Stanley and this shows that Blanche cannot see the bond that Stanley and Stella have. Stanley is driving a wedge in between them.
Blanche says ‘sister and I in desperate situation’ and Stella replies ‘I beg your pardon’ – this shows their opposite views on the situation. Blanche says ‘I have to plan for us both, to get us both – out’ while Stella replies ‘you take it for granted that I am in something I want to get out of’ showing they have differing views on their current situation. Stella asks ‘then don’t you think your superior attitude is a bit out of place?’ and Blanche responds ‘I am not being or feeling at all superior.’ This shows they have contrasting views on Blanche’s personality.
In this scene it shows that Stanley has changed is attitude since the night before and even acknowledges Blanche; this gives the impression he trying to make up for his actions the night before.
Williams is saying that Stanley knows he is in the wrong and is trying to fix things with Stella because he may believe she is going to leave him after eavesdropping in on her and Blanche’s conversation.
Harrah's Philadelphia Casino & Racetrack | Hotel & Spa
ReplyDeleteHarrah's Philadelphia 의왕 출장샵 Casino & Racetrack 광명 출장샵 features high-end 포천 출장샵 facilities, including 김해 출장샵 top-notch amenities like VIP rooms, restaurants and the 안성 출장마사지